Online travel insurance have been helping Australians in trouble overseas for over 10 years. With 5 levels of cover, from basics through to comprehensive they have a policy to suit every budget.
Many things could happen while you’re travelling. From overseas hospital stays, to losing all your bags, to having an accident in your hire car – Online Travel Insurance can provide cover for the things you need.
OTI's policies provide cover for singles, couples and families for all sorts of activities and all destinations. There are policies designed to suit all budgets too – from basic medical cover to full comprehensive international insurance.
Compare Online Travel Insurance policies
- Comprehensive – their top cover option which provides unlimited medical cover, $5,000 luggage and personal items, $25,000 cancellation and lost deposits, $3,000 rental vehicle excess and more!
- Basic – Their basic policy covers medical (unlimited) and personal liability ($2.5 million) cover only.
- Multi-Trip – Their annual trip policy provides cover for multiple short trips (you can choose a policy that limits trips to 15, 30, or 45 days) over a 12 month period. Like their comprehensive policy it also provides top cover with unlimited medical cover, $5,000 luggage and personal, $25,000 cancellation and lost deposits and $3,000 rental vehicle excess. Available to travellers aged 74 and under.
- Domestic – the policy you need for trips within Australia, which provides cover for lost or stolen luggage ($5,000), rental vehicle insurance excess ($3,000), personal liability ($2.5 million) and more.
- Seniors insurance – Age limits apply to their polices. All their policies are available to those 74 years and under.
- Duo policy- travelling as a two? Online’s duo policy will cover both travelling companions under one policy, just remember that all single cover levels are shared between both people.
Unique Online Travel Insurance benefits include:
- Bicycles are not usually covered under luggage and personal effects. However with OTI you can purchase a ‘bicycle pack’ which covers up to $5,000 for any one bicycle and $15,000 for all claims combined. Your bike must be less than 3 years old, valued at $1,500 or more and be free of defects.
Online Travel Insurance FAQ's
How many people can I include in my policy?
On their website you can only buy a policy for 2 adults and up to 10 children.
Am I covered if I go on a cruise?
Yes, you don’t even need to pick a cruise specific policy. Here’s a top tip: Even if you’re travelling in Aussie water you still need to pick pacific for destination.
Am I covered for skiing and my equipment?
Yes if you purchase their ski packcover. OTI comprehensive ski pack will cover $2,000 worth of skiing equipment, $1,000 piste closure, $1,000 bad weather closure, and $100,000 emergency rescue
Are kids covered for free?
Yes, that’s right, kids will be covered at no added cost! Dependent children and grandchildren are included for free as long as they are under 21 years of age and not in full time employment.
Can I pay to reduce or cancel my excess?
Yes if you pay an additional premium when you purchase your policy.
What additional extras are there?
You can purchase an adventure pack which covers for abseiling, contact sports, deep sea fishing, sailing, shooting, river tubing, tandem parachuting and more.
Am I covered if my tour company collapses?
Online Travel Insurance doesn’t provide protection from insolvency.
I’m not an Australian resident- can I buy cover?
No – Their policies are only available to travellers who are permanent residents of Australia unless otherwise agreed by them.
What size moped or motorbike am I covered to ride overseas?
OTI will cover you for any engine size you ride as long as you’re insured to do so in Australia. Just make sure you get your International Drivers Permit (IDP) before you leave! You can ride up to 50cc with a valid driver’s license.
How long is their single trip cover for?
Can I extend my policy from overseas?
Yes you are covered if you are delayed returning to Australia because your airline, bus or shipping line causes you delays. If you wish to stay on holiday longer, you can extend your policy from overseas but it cannot exceed 12 months in duration.You must contact OTI before your current policy expires.
Do they cover for my rental vehicle excess?
Yes, for up to $3000. You can pay an additional premium to increase this. Cover is only available for campervans/motorhomes that do not exceed 4.5 tonnes, a sedan, coupe, hatchback, station-wagon, SUV, four wheel drive or mini bus/people mover rented from a licensed motor vehicle rental company or agency.
Who underwrites them?
Allianz Insurance Australia.
What's their cooling off period?
Where are they based?
What do Online Travel Insurance not cover?
- Riding without the appropriate license - riding a motorbike/ moped/scooter without a current Australian license could get you into trouble.
- Unattended items - keep a strong hold over all your belongings as leaving your stuff unsupervised will not be covered for.
- Being intoxicated - all claims related directly to alcohol and drugs will not be paid. Have fun in moderation!
- Countries with travel warnings - travelling against DO NOT TRAVEL warnings from the Australian Government is a clear no-go.
- High risk activities - participating in risky activities such as rock climbing, parachuting or hand gliding will not be covered.
- Flight delays or cancellations that airlines are responsible for will not be covered.
- Pre-existing medical conditions –that exist before you travel are generally not covered.