Compare Travel Insurance Travel Insurance Tips Non Resident Travel Insurance

Non Resident Travel Insurance

Are you a non-resident living in Australia planning a trip overseas? If that's you and you're on a temporary visa, you can still get travel insurance for your overseas holiday, it just might be a little tricker to find!

What Are The Requirements For Non-Resident Travel Insurance?

In the majority of cases you'll need to:
  • Have a trip booked that starts and ends in Australia;
  • Be on a valid visa such as; 457 Skilled Working Visa, 411 Exchange, 416 Special program, 417 Working Holiday, 422 Medical Practitioner, 457 Sponsorship Visa, Student Visa; and
  • Have access to Medicare (keep reading for options without Medicare)

So Who Can Get Medicare Cover?

A few countries qualify for reciprical healthcare agreements with Australia such as; New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, Italy, Belgium, Malta, Slovenia and Norway. If you're from one of these countries and you haven't already registered...get yourself to a Medicare centre. Non-residents who become permanent residents of Australia are also eligible for Medicare. 

Where Can I Buy Travel Insurance For Non-Residents?

We’ve done the hard yards for you and found out which insurers provide cover for temporary residents. Compare non-resident travel insurance policies here:

General Advice Warning: The contents of this article were accurate at the time of writing. Insurers change their policies from time to time, so some information may have changed. You should always read the Product Disclosure Statement of your chosen insurer to understand what is covered and what isn't. The information provided is of a general nature only and does not take into account any personal objectives, financial situation or needs. Before making a decision you should consider the appropriateness of the information having regard to your personal circumstances.

Travel Insurance For Visitors To Australia From Overseas

If you're looking for a policy to cover non-resident relatives or friends coming to visit you here, then you need 'travel insurance for visitors to Australia'. Follow the link for more info: Non-residents visiting Australia.

What’s Typically Included?

The four main things to ensure you've got covered are:

  • Medical cover: Medical expenses for injury or illness including hospital stays, surgery, dental, prescription drugs, doctor and dentist office visits. 
  • Luggage and personal items: Loss, theft or damage to luggage and personal items
  • Personal liability: Cover in the event that you are found to be legally liable for accidental injury or damage you may have caused to another person or their property
  • Cancellation fees and lost deposits: The cost of rearranging or cancelling your journey because of unforeseen circumstances such as illness, accidents and extreme weather conditions

Whether you're here in Australia for a quick visit, or a four year work visa, non resident travel insurance is a vital part of every trip.

Not being Aussie shouldn't stop you from going overseas and seeing the world. There are plenty of options out there for you, you'll just have to look a bit harder. Get cover today to ensure a smooth-sailing, stress free holiday!

Trending Tips And Guides

visitors travel insurance


Are you visiting Australia from overseas? Or need to arrange travel insurance for friends or family visiting you? Get travel insurance for visitors to Australia today!

one way


Heading on an adventure with no return date? Get one way travel insurance for your trip. Find out who you can buy it from right here.

domestic travel insurance


Many people forget to buy travel insurance when they travel around Australia, but being covered domestically is just as important as being covered overseas.

Loading Quotes

Loading Quotes...