Please select at least 1 country or destination.
Please select a valid departure and return date.
Please input traveller age(s) from 0 to 120.

Please Note - If you are cruising around Australia you need to select Pacific.
With Regions, variances can apply for Bali, Indonesia, Japan and Middle East.
You are not required to enter stop-over countries if your stop-over is less than 48 hours.

What Adventure Activities Are Covered?

27 January 2022
By Eugene Wylde

Whether you’re planning to gallivant across the globe or you’re looking to explore your own country, the joy of travel is the new experiences it brings.

We know that relaxing on a beach or sitting poolside at a five-star resort sipping cocktails is not everyone’s idea of a fun-filled holiday.  If you’re someone who likes to push boundaries and get your heart racing, it's important to have travel insurance coverage that's right for your trip. For the more adventurous among us, when it comes to buying travel insurance, it is important to think about our planned activities and understand what is and isn’t covered.

For many Aussies, holidays aren’t complete without a few thrills and spills. It's important to know that not all adventure activities are covered as standard within a typical policy. Finding yourself injured and unprotected after an accident overseas could easily send your adventure belly-up! So before you go thrill-seeking on your travels, let our handy adventure guide help you narrow your search and avoid unnecessary holiday hurdles.

Who covers what adventure sports?

Most travel insurers have a long list of sports & activities that are automatically covered, but what is included in one policy, may be specifically excluded from the next. For this reason, travellers who plan to partake in specific sports or activities should check for exclusions.  In many cases, if an activity isn't covered, you can opt to purchase an adventure pack or winter sports add-on.

Please note: An additional premium or adventure pack may be required in order to be sufficiently covered. Click on the rows to see more detail. 

Adventure Travel Insurance FAQs

Travelling requires bravery and smarts in equal parts. We answer some of the most common questions from adventurous travellers to help you protect yourself as best you can.

Does travel insurance cover extreme sports?

Yes, some high-risk sports and activities are covered by travel insurance, but this is limited to what your insurer considers to be extreme and not insane. Find out which extreme activities are covered in a typical insurance policy.; Skiing, snowboarding, skydiving and downhill mountain biking are extreme sports you can easily find cover for. But if you plan to get your adrenaline-pumping thrills from base jumping, bullfighting, motor racing or ski acrobatics, you'll be out of luck. You will need to seek professional sports insurance and not travel insurance.

Why do I need adventure travel insurance?

We believe that every traveller needs travel insurance. Life is unpredictable and anything can happen to anyone at any time. No matter what your appetite for adrenalin is, or how experienced you are in your chosen activity, travel insurance can help if something goes wrong. Typically, extreme sports operate in a unique environment far from hospitals and medical facilities and are characterized by high speeds and high risk.

We think it pays to pack peace of mind. While an adrenaline rush can last up to an hour, overseas hospital bills can last a lifetime.

What does adventure travel insurance cover?

Adventure sports travel insurance provides access to 24 hour Emergency Assistance; it includes cover for overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses; and would provide cover for the cost of an ambulance or medical transport required to get you to the nearest hospital. Putting injuries aside, policies will usually also cover you for a host of other travel benefits such as cancellation or disruption if you need to cancel your trip or are delayed due to unforeseen events like a family emergency, illness or bad weather. There is also cover for lost or damaged luggage. Visit our comprehensive travel insurance guide to learn more.

Does travel insurance cover riding a motorcycle or scooter overseas?

Many travel insurers automatically cover you to ride a motorbike overseas, provided that you're wearing a helmet and have the correct licence and engine class according to their policy terms. Learn more from our guide on insurers that cover riding motorcycles, scooters and mopeds.

Am I covered for scuba diving when I go travelling?

With its increased popularity for holidaymakers you can easily find an insurer that will cover for this but there will be certain restrictions. For example, most insurers will have maximum depth limits and you must hold a valid diving certificate or be diving with a qualified instructor. Check out our scuba diving cover guide.

Am I covered for trekking and/or climbing when I go travelling?

Trekking is covered the majority of the time, but be advised that there may be some restrictions like altitude limits and if you require the use of ropes. Climbing insurance might be a bit harder to find as most insurers are unable to cover outdoor climbing and only a select few cover for indoor climbing with the use of a harness. Always check with your insurer when arranging the policy to find out if they cover for this and if they have certain restrictions. For further details on this have a look at our climbing and trekking guide.

What activities are covered with your winter sports/ski travel insurance?

Most insurers cover you medically if you were to have an accident on the slopes, but only if it’s recreational, on-piste and within the resort boundaries. If you are wanting a higher standard of ski insurance to cover ski passes, equipment hire then a ski-specific policy is advised. See our winters sports guide.

Am I covered for participating in a competition that involves racing or competing?

Travel insurers generally do not cover competitive events that involve you racing against time or other competitors, particularly if it involves winning prize money, or reward and recognition. On the other hand, if you are participating in an activity as an amateur, then depending on the type of activity, you may be able to obtain cover. You should contact your insurer directly if you're in doubt.

Loading Quotes

Loading Quotes...