Travel insurance can be complex. Who wants to spend hours trawling through websites for travel insurance online?
Wow, so many of you! Fortunately, we know a lot about travel insurance and make it easy.
At comparetravelinsurance.com.au you can compare quotes from over 20 travel insurers in less than 5 seconds. Genius! In a few easy steps, we help you to choose the right cover for your holiday, so that you can spend less time worrying, and more holiday time relaxing. Two Cosmos please!
Simply tell us where you are going, for how long and the ages of those travelling to instantly receive loads of online travel insurance quotes in the one place.
Our comparison will help you to compare travel insurance quotes and specific features from Australia’s leading online travel insurance companies side-by-side.
The quote results table provides a quick snapshot of cover levels and how much they cost. You can rank and compare common things that travel insurance covers you for, such as overseas medical expenses, luggage & personal belongings, and cancellation cover. You can also drill down into more detail of each policy to view all the cover levels by clicking ‘more’.
Once you’ve found the right level of cover for your trip, simply select your policy and you’ll be transferred to the insurer’s site to complete your purchase online. Buying travel insurance online has never been so easy.
We’re awesome no matter which device looks at us
And there's another thing that makes buying online with us such a treat. You can find us wherever you go. It doesn’t matter if you're researching from your office desktop (on your lunch break of course), on a laptop at a café, or browsing your ipad from your couch, you will get the same snazzy website and useful information.
We figured that if you’re researching on your mobile, you’re probably on your way to the airport and forgot to buy travel insurance. But don’t worry. We’ve got that covered too. We’ve simplified our quote form for your tiny screen and herrhumm fat fingers.
It's all part of our commitment to spread the word on how much we know and love insurance.
Once you’ve got your quote results on a mobile. Click more, and swipe away. You can view the quotes and product details of each provider with the swipe of a finger.
We cater for all sorts
People from all walks of life like to travel. Rich people, poor people, smart people, stupid people, funny people, sad people, inspiring people and errr ridiculous people. Our comparison caters for all types of travellers.
Whether you’re a frequent traveller looking for an annual multi-trip for all year round cover, or you’re looking for a single trip policy for a once in a lifetime holiday, we remove the angst so that you can get on with the fun stuff, like packing!
What online travel insurance gives you
Buying online doesn’t mean you skimp on cover. You get the same amount of cover whether you purchase online, in person, or over the phone. What you get will largely depend on the policy and the level of cover you choose.
- Basics Cover: No-frills travel insurance that covers you for the most important thing on your holiday – your health. Basics policies provide 24/7 emergency assistance; cover for overseas medical expenses; and sometimes, personal liability too.
- Mid-Range Policy: Cover for the essentials and some! Mid-range cover is suited for the budget conscious who have prepaid flights and accommodation and are going overseas to stay with friends or relatives. In addition to medical cover, you’ll usually get cancellation cover and decent cover for luggage and personal belongings.
- Comprehensive Policy: This is the Daddy. Comprehensive travel insurance provides the highest level of cover suitable for those seeking maximum peace of mind for their trip. Check out the standard inclusions below.
Comprehensive travel insurance keeps on giving
- Medical expenses: Lets hope you don’t need it, but travel insurance policies are generous when it comes to medical care. Most comprehensive policies provide unlimited cover or cover into the millions.
- Emergency dental: Dental care is included in most policies too, but remember, that you'll be fitting the bill for any ongoing dental work needed once you’ve returned to Australia.
- Luggage and personal belongings: Provided you look after your things, you'll be covered for any lost, stolen or damaged items you take away with you. This usually ranges from $2,000-$20,000 depending on your cover. Savvy travellers should check the per item limit to ensure that their belongings are properly covered. You can add high value items if you insist on taking expensive things away.
- Personal liability: Accidents happen! And people get sued! If you're found responsible for another person's injury while travelling you’ll be glad you have personal liability cover. $2 million dollars is the standard cover, which is rarely claimed.
- Accidental death and injury: If you are permanently disabled as a result of an accident or you die while away, you or your estate will receive money to pay for repatriation or loss of income.
- Cash: Not all policies include cash reimbursement. The ones that do usually cover $100-$200 and most clauses state that you have to have the money on you at the time of theft.
- Rental car excess: If you are planning on renting a car while you're on holiday DON'T take out that expensive excess reduction insurance with the rental car company! Your travel insurance will usually cover rental car excess up to around $3,000.
- Cancellation and delays: Last boarding call for Eugene Wylde. If your flight is delayed or you have to cancel your trip you may get reimbursed by your travel insurance provider. Generally your flight has to be delayed by over 24 hours for you to receive travel delay reimbursement.
- Peace of mind: One of the biggest perks of travel insurance is the peace of mind it brings for both you and your family. Kick off your shoes and chillax!
What online travel insurance doesn’t do
- Cover recklessness: Don’t leave your phone in taxi or your bag under the table. Most insurers do not cover theft if you did not take reasonable care to protect your belongings. Your stuff is important, so look after it.
- Protect you when you didn’t use (or protect) your noggin: You’re generally only covered riding a motorbike or scooter if you are wearing a helmet and hold the relevant licence for the vehicle you are riding.
- Cover you if you’ve had a few too many: If you fall down some steps after a few too many long island iced teas and injure yourself (or your pride), you’re not covered. Insurers do not pay claims if you were under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Reimburse you for ongoing costs once you’ve returned home: You’re only covered for expenses incurred while on your trip, not once you have returned to home sweet home. Follow up appointments with your doctor or specialist, are not covered once you’ve returned safely to Australia.
- Cover your ignorance: If you’ve found yourself in a war zone or riot, you may not be covered. Insurers won’t cover you if you have travelled to a country that has a do not travel warning issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trading (DFAT) or the mass media.
- Deliver babies: If you are in your final stages of pregnancy, be sure to check whether you’re covered. We have an amazing pregnancy tool for mums-to-be to check whether travel cover is available for their pregnancy. Our interactive pregnancy insurance infographic is a world first!!!
- Make you cool: You’ve either got it or you haven’t. Unfortunately buying online travel insurance isn’t going to make you sexy, or sadly cover you if you get a sexually transmitted disease.
The skinny of online travel insurance
We’ve all heard the horror travel stories. Bag snatching monkeys, dodgy prawns, broken bones on ski slopes (ouch). Worse still injuries or illnesses that see holidaymakers trying to negotiate their way through a medical system in a foreign country. No thanks!
Wise up! You’d be mad not to take out travel insurance and you can save time, worry and loads of money by comparing and buying it online.