The thought can spark out of nowhere. You’re away, having the time of your life when it suddenly occurs to you…I’m not ready to go home yet!
You've decided to extend your holiday. Perhaps you’ve decided to stay another week, or perhaps even another six months.
So will your travel insurance be on board with your change of mind?
Lucky for you most Australian insurers allow you to extend your travel insurance when you’re already overseas (as long as you give them enough notice, and don’t let your policy lapse first.)
You’ll need to call your insurer to let them know, and they’ll probably ask you a few questions about your health and duty of disclosure. Keep in mind that your policy will not be extended just yet. Rather, the answers you provide over the phone will help your insurer decide if they’re able to extend your travel insurance or not.
Remember you’ll only be covered once you’ve received confirmation in writing and a new Certificate of Insurance. Hang tight and try to curb your enthusiasm until you’ve got it in your hot little hands!
How long can I extend my cover for?
This will vary from insurer to insurer but generally the period of cover on your new certificate cannot exceed 12 months.
Extensions of cover might not be available:
- For medical conditions you suffered during your original policy
- For pre-existing conditions that previously required a medical assessment
- If you do not tell your insurer of any instances where you are going to claim from your original policy
- If you’re over a certain age. There might be age restrictions for some types of policies
- If you’ve already been away for a long time on your original policy (e.g. 2 years) you might not be able to extend further
My flight home is delayed/cancelled and my insurance is due to expire, am I covered?
Yes, most insurers will extend your policy for free if you’re delayed getting home for an unforeseen circumstance. So, if at any point in your journey home your transportation is delayed your cover will usually be extended until you are able to get home.
If you're just not ready to wrap up your holiday, don't stress. Get in touch with your insurer to extend your policy for up to 12 months longer. Becuase life's too short to cut your happiness down to size