Get going with annual trip cover
Got a travel bug? Get going with our annual travel insurance guide
If you have a serious case of wanderlust then an annual travel insurance policy might be the right option for you. Designed for frequent travellers, an annual policy (also known as a 'multi-trip' policy) can offer an affordable way to keep your trips covered all year round.
Frequent globetrotting travellers can save time and money, and jet set worry free!
Annual travel insurance 101
Don’t get confused, unlike a single trip policy that covers you for one trip (that can last 12 months in duration), an annual policy covers you for lots of little trips over the course of a year.
Take it to the limits
It’s important to know that each “little trip” you take will have limits. These maximum trip lengths vary between insurers and policies, so be sure to check these suit your planned holidays before you sign on the dotted line. To help you out we’ve done the hard slog for you…
Single trip policy
Annual multi-trip policy age limits
Annual multi-trip individual trip duration limits
|1Cover||Standard policy until 69
Seniors policy no age limit
|Under 60||90 days|
|1st for Women||Under 100||Under 70||30 days|
|American Express||Under 80||Under 65||45 days|
|Budget Direct||Under 100||Under 70||30 days|
|Citibank||Under 69||Under 69||90 days|
|Columbus Direct||Under 84||Under 74||60 days|
|Cover-more||Under 84||Under 75||30, 45 or 60 days|
|Downunder||Cover available for all ages
Standard policy under 79
|Under 65||37 days (leisure), 90 days (business)|
|Fast Cover||No age limit||Under 59||40 days|
|Insure and Go||Under 100||Under 100||30, 45 and 60 days|
Joey Cover under 64.
|Under 69||35 and 60 days|
|Online Travel Insurance||Under 75||Under 74||15, 30 and 45 days|
|Priceline Protects||Under 74||Under 69||40 days (business), 90 days (international)|
|Seniors Travel Insurance||Under 89||Under 79||45 days|
|Simply Travel Insurance||No age limit||Under 65||90 Days|
|SCTI||No age limit||No age limit||90 days|
|TID||Under 81||Under 75||38 days (leisure), 90 days (business)|
|Virgin Money||Under 74||Under 74||31, 45 or 62 days|
|Worldcare||Under 86||Under 71||37 days (leisure), 90 days (business)|
|Webjet||Under 75||Under 75||37 days (leisure), 90 days (business)|
Compare and save and you’ll be free to Rome
Unique is cool, and this goes double for travel habits. Taking your travel behaviour and plans into account, like where you’re going and what you’ll be doing over the next year, you can save a lot of time and money by choosing a multi-trip policy.
If you’re a frequent flyer and travel more than twice a year, overseas or within Australia, an year-round cover can be significantly cheaper than purchasing a single trip policy each time you travel. You can expect to save at least $200* on your travel insurance!
Lucky for you our comparison allows you to compare over 20 top insurers in just a few simple steps. Say whaaat!
Who offers the most cover at the best price?
So you’re 30 (ish) years old and looking for a worldwide policy?
If you’re looking for a policy to cover 30 day trips here are some of the best:
- Insure and Go's Multi trip (30 day trip limit) with unlimited medical, unlimited cancellation, up to $8,000 luggage and all for only $220.89.
- Budget Direct's Multi trip (30 day trip limit) provides unlimited medical, unlimited cancellation, covers up to $7,500 luggage and is great value at $233.82.
If a 60 day trip policy is more suitable we recommend:
- Travel Insurance Saver's Multi trip (60 day trip limit) has unlimited medical, unlimited cancellation, a whopping $15,000 luggage for only $274.95.
- Columbus Direct's Multi trip (60 day trip limit) gives you $12,500,000 in medical expenses, $10,000 cancellation, up to $6,000 luggage for $293.00.
Or if an 90 day trip is the ticket for you check out:
- Citibank's (90 days limit) unlimited medical, a massive $50,000 cancellation, $10,000 luggage for only $380.00.
- 1Cover's frequent traveller (90 days limit) provides you with unlimited medical, unlimited cancellation, up to $5,000 luggage for $389.00.
*Prices available on comparetravelinsurance.com.au at time of writing May 2015.
Grey haired globetrotters need to do their research
If you’re a sexy 60 (or over) it can be harder to find a multi-trip insurance policy. But don’t despair, we’ve found some that can give you the cover you’re looking for.
Are you a domestic frequent traveller?
So you’re a domestic explorer? Well there are policies just for you! If you travel within Australia a few times a year a domestic frequent traveller policy may be perfect for you. While they vary in price and benefits (you can spend anywhere from $90 to $500 on a policy) it can be perfect for the frequent interstate business traveller or person who has family spread across several states.
The couple that travels together stays together
If wanderlust is in your blood and you and your beloved travel together a few times a year, well you could benefit from a duo policy.
However, not all policies have specified cover for all duos. For instance, 1Cover’s policy only applies to singles and families; meaning cover would only apply to you, your spouse, partner and your dependants. If you’re planning to travel with a sibling or friend a few times a year insurers like Worldcare have got you covered.
But is it for me?
So you’re not sure if your travel habits put you in the globetrotting category? Well if you travel for work or fun a few times a year, go on more than two holidays a year, or take lots of little trips around Oz it’s probably the choice for you!
Trying to figure out whether to purchase a policy is self-explanatory. See for yourself! Compare the prices of 3 single trips, or 1 annual policy to see the savings! For one price, you can get standard or comprehensive travel insurance cover for a whole year!
Although, it's not quite so black and white! Aside from cost, you should consider:
- How long you're travelling for as they have trip length restrictions. If you’re planning on being away for 6 months you’ll need single cover.
- The level of cover you want – if you want only basic cover than a multi may not be right for you, as they’re usually more comprehensive.
- Your planned activities, for example, if you're going on a ski holiday, you may require a specialist single ski trip policy to ensure your winter sports activities are covered, or if you are planning multiple ski holidays, consider an Annual Ski Policy.
Which destination do I pick?
Some policies allow you to travel anywhere in the world (when you pick worldwide cover). While others, for regions like Europe or Asia, want you to be more specific. Think about the trips you’ll be taking over the next 12 months and which region best suits. Money can be saved by picking a cheaper region.
Now voyager! What’s covered?
These policies will give you all the benefits of comprehensive insurance but for a full year. A good policy will usually provide cover for the following scenarios:
- It’s 3am and you’ve had your travel documents stolen, well with travel insurance you’ll have 24/7 emergency assistance services to help with any travel or unexpected medical emergencies.
- Emergency hospital and medical are also covered. So if you lose a filling, or your appendix bursts while overseas your dental, hospital and medical expenses are covered.
- Broke your leg skiing down the alps? Your policy will cover an emergency rescue and medical transportation.
- Involved in a motor vehicle collision – well you’re covered for personal liability. And it’s a must have if you're taking part in any activity that involves any risk.
- You’ve lost your luggage, including your new swanky camera! No worries, as your policy will cover lost, damaged or stolen luggage and personal items.
- Stuck in an unexpected blizzard and your flight is grounded? Well travel delay expenses, including costs for unexpected accommodation, meals, and transport is covered too should your travel be delayed or disrupted
...and much more!
What's not covered?
Like all insurances, there are some things insurers simply won't cover. Travel insurance covers the unexpected, not events that are likely to happen, or have happened as a result of negligence, or the insured acting irresponsibly.
The following are some examples of common sense exclusions that may apply:
- Going against the Australian Government 'do not travel' advice and travelling to no-go regions.
- Being drunk or under the influence and causing a motor vehicle collision, or being at fault in any accident while under the influence.
- You left your bag by the departure gate while you went to the bathroom? Well goods stolen as a result of them being unattended aren’t usually covered.
- If you’re an adrenaline junkie and planning on participating in any extreme sports, you’ll need to check whether your planned activities are covered.
- If your flight is delayed due to the airline, they’ll need to cover any delay expenses in this situation.
- A medical condition that exists before you travel is generally not covered.
Annual travel insurance gives you benefits
- You can save some serious cash!
- Decide to head to Uluru? You're automatically covered for spontaneous trips (yippee!)
- No need to research and purchase cover each time you travel (phew), so you’ll save a heap of time and effort
- You don’t need to tell your insurer each time you travel
- It’s easily renewed, even if you're overseas
The biggest benefit of taking out annual travel insurance before you travel is that you can relax knowing you're covered for cancellations, medical costs, lost luggage, theft, and everything else outlined in the policy for the whole year ahead!
Read the small print
The devil is in the detail, so remember to check your inclusions and exclusions. Reading the Policy Documentation means you wont get any nasty surprises.
Compare annual travel insurance online and save money!
If you’re an avid adventurer, always on the go to some place exotic, or a regular business traveller, it’s worth comparing annual travel insurance policies – and with us it’s easy!
Compare quotes effortlessly and find the best policy for your travel habits. Comparing online with us will give you the same competitive price as buying direct – but without the legwork of shopping around.
Save time, worry and loads of money! Comparing annual travel insurance online will leave you plenty of time for globetrotting fun!