Cheap travel insurance that’ll make you feel like a millionaire!
When it comes to parting with our hard earned dollars we'd all like to keep as much as possible. The good news is we’ll help you find a low price policy that’ll leave you with more cash to splash on your holiday!
Don’t be a cheapskate
Travel can be an expensive experience, so don’t be a dope! You go out of your way to find the best deals on airfares and accommodation so don't be tempted to skip the most important part of the trip – the travel insurance.
We all want to bring home the bacon (or at least take it with us on holiday). But you’ll also want to board your flight with peace of mind, and that means packing the right cover in your suitcase. Cheap doesn’t mean nasty when it comes to travel insurance and should the worst happen, not having cover can end up making a budget trip an expensive holiday. The key to purchasing low cost cover is to find quality protection at a price you can afford.
All insurers listed on our site are underwritten by Australia's largest insurance underwriters, and no matter the time zone your adventures put you in, you’ll be glad to know you have the support of 24-hour global emergency assistance from a leading provider.
What level of cover do I need?
No need to be a scrooge! Most insurers offer at least two or three policies with varying levels of cover for all budgets and requirements. And by letting your fingers do the clicking online you'll save money and time!
Typically cover is broken down into three categories: Basic (or medical only), Standard (also known as Essentials) and Comprehensive. Or sometimes they’re known along the lines of Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum.
Budget busting basics
No frills travel insurance is nothing to sneeze at! A basic policy covers you for the most important thing on your holiday – your health.
Aimed at budget-conscious traveller, basic policies provide cover for the essentials such as:
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses
- Personal Liability
- Some even offer cover for personal belongings and small amounts of luggage
This cover is typically suited to a backpacker or a traveller who is packing lightly.
Cover for the essentials and some!
Standard travel insurance, or mid-range cover, suited for the budget conscious traveller who has prepaid flights and accommodation, or going overseas to stay with friends or relatives. It’ll cover you for all the essentials above, but with higher cover levels. You’ll also find some extra benefits such as:
- Reimbursement for cancellation and lost deposits
- Travel delay expenses
- Loss of travel documents
- Travellers cheques
- Permanent disability
Hand the keys to the valet; you’ve got comprehensive cover!
This is the Grand-Daddy of travel insurance. Comprehensive cover offers the highest level of protection, perfect for those seeking maximum peace of mind for their trip.
Besides the essentials it can also include:
- Accidental death
- Car rental excess
- Domestic services or home help
- Financial default
- Resumption of journey
- Hijack and Kidnap
Buying direct versus the travel agent: what you need to know!
It may come as a surprise to hear, but there can be a massive difference in the cost of your insurance if you buy direct from an insurance provider.
Buying from a travel agent will often mean added costs and that’s less money for you to spend on your trip away! Purchasing travel insurance directly from a travel insurance company is usually cheaper because there are no 'middle man' fees attached.
With comparetravelinsurance.com.au you can buy directly online without the hassle of schlepping yourself from provider to provider – we’ve done all the work for you. A simple click of the mouse, from the comfort of your own lounge, and you’ll be comparing cheap quotes quicker than you can say show me the money! Ka-ching!
Going on a two week trip? Show me the money!
Yes, prices for travel insurance can vary enormously. So, say you’re 30 (ish) years old and you’re going on a single worldwide trip for two weeks, this is the price range you’re looking at:
- Basic policies range anywhere from $54 – $70
- Mid-level polices range from $70 – $90
- Comprehensive polices range from $90 – $320
But which are the best brands for me?
Well, for under $60 you’ll be pleasantly surprised with options from Virgin money, Kango Cover, itrek, Insure and Go, 1Cover and Budget Direct. Cheaper priced polices do tend to have a higher excess though.
And for under $70 there are policy bargains to be grabbed from: Priceline Protects, Fast Cover, American Express, Webjet, Simply Travel Insurance, 1ST for Women, DU Insure and Online Travel Insurance.
Why not see for yourself!
When it comes to value: Who offers the most cover at the best price?
You don’t have to have a Goldilocks moment to find the cover that’s just right. Comparetravelinsurance.com.au makes it easy as pie! (Or porridge as the case may be!)
- Basic cover: If you’re looking for real low cost cover Kango’s Joey Cover at $55.30 is the cheapest basic policy on our site. This policy includes $5 million medical and $1.5 million personal liability only. With excess at $250.
- Mid-range: Fast Cover’s standard policy offers decent cover at a good price of just $64.90. This includes unlimited medical, unlimited cancellation, $5 million personal liability, $5,000 luggage, $15,000 accidental death, $2,500 hospital cash, $15,000 personal disability, $2,000 for travel documents and $30,000 travel expenses. The excess is $200.
- Comprehensive: 1Cover’s comprehensive policy at $95.85 offers a good level of cover with a low excess of $100. Their policy includes unlimited medical, unlimited cancellation, $5 million personal liability, $15,000 luggage, $25,000 accidental death, $5,000 hospital cash, $25,000 personal disability, $5,000 for travel documents and $50,000 travel expenses.
*Worldwide, 2 week single trip, traveller aged 30.
**All prices accurate at time of writing May 2015.
Our top savings tips to give you a fist full of dollars
Want to save mo money? Here are our quick and dirty tips when it comes to cheap travel insurance:
- Increase your excess and save! Most insurers let you lower your premium if you opt to pay a higher excess.
- Consider your travel habits: If you travel a few times a year, purchasing an annual multi-trip policy could save you big bucks!
- Not going solo? If you’re travelling with family or a companion, a joint policy is often cheaper than purchasing cover separately. 10 or more travelling in the group? A group discount might be available and can save you some cash.
- Who doesn’t love a discount? If you’re already a member some insurers will offer you a loyalty discount. And it’s worth checking whether your employer has a group deal with an insurance company, as you may be entitled to a favourable rate through them.
- Consider the destination: Keep in mind some insurers will ask you to nominate the region you’ll be spending most of your time; and other insurers will ask you to nominate the furthest region. If you’re travelling to multiple destinations and spending less time in a destination that falls in a far away region, you can make significant savings by investigating this. And your destination could determine your level of cover. Visiting some places like the USA or many European counties, where medical care is expensive, means you should consider taking out insurance with unlimited medical. For other destinations, a lower level of cover might be sufficient.
It all makes dollars and cents
To save you time (and money!) we’ve done the hard work for you! At comparetravelinsurance.com you can compare key policy features from heaps of insurers so you get to choose from the pick of the bunch. By ranking the quote results by cover benefits you’ll get the cover you want at the best price. Or in other words, cheap travel insurance.
We know that reading your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) can be as much fun as watching paint dry, but it’s a necessary step to understand the cover limitations. Reading before your PDS before you buy will help you pick the right policy for you. But if you still don’t understand or have any questions it’s always best to contact the insurer directly.
Cheap online travel insurance – saving you time and money!
We help you compare quotes easily so you can get the right policy for your trip at the best price. Comparing online with us will give you the same competitive price as buying direct – but without the legwork of shopping around.
Save time, worry and loads of money when you compare cheap travel insurance online.