So you've decided to ditch the office cubicle, get away from the family, give the finger to your boss, or simply seek some elightenment. Good for You! There is nothing more liberating than setting off to see the world with nothing but you and a backpack on your back. But remember, what you pack is literally on your back.
Pack light - everyone preaches it, but nobody does it or quite understands until they have experienced it first hand. The smaller and lighter your bag, the less it interferes with your travels and the less vulnerable you feel. Giving you more freedom to have fun.
So here is our quick guide to help you get started…Happy backpacking!
- 60 litre backpack for everything
- 18 litre back pack for day use
- Passports (and photocopies)
- Passport photographs (for visas)
- Photocopy of passport
- Credit Card
- Current account Flight confirmations
- Travel Insurance (policy number, photocopy of PDS, emergency assitance phone number to call)
- Proof of vaccinations
- Drivers license
- Head torch
- Hair product
- Shower Gel
- Baby wipes
- Sun cream
- Malaria tablets
- First aid kit
- Flip flops
- Light trainers
- Walking trainers
- Swimming shorts / Bikini
- Long sleeve tops
- T shirts / tops
- Trainer socks
- Wool socks
- Fleece top
- Waterproof jacket
Technology Packing List
- Headphone splitter
- Small laptop of sorts
- Camera and spare battery
- Old phone
- Memory card
- Camera, phone, chargers
- Duct tape
- Combination lock
- Sleeping mask
- Ear plugs
- Travel pillow
- Small waterproof bag
- Travel towel
In case you skimmed over the part about packing travel insurance. "What?! spend my holiday savings on insurance, nothing will happen to me". Please continue reading.
Why pack backpacker travel insurance
- Backpacker travel insurance is cheaper than you think. If budget if your main concern, you should at least take out a basics policy so that you have cover for medical emergency costs overseas. It typically costs less than your private health cover in Australia.
- While you are exploring new places, you WILL be travelling. Whether it be catching a plane, sitting on an elephant, riding in a rickshaw, transporting in a tuk tuk, or walking the streets. More people get hurt in simple transport accidents than in extreme sports like rock climbing.
- People like to steal things, especially from shared dorms. A travel insurance policy will cover your backpack if it is lost or stolen, as well as things in it like your iphone, ipod and camera.
- Most policies cover your trip in the event that you have to cancel for some reason.
- While traveling, you will be more active, exposing yourself to more risk. Compared to when you're on the couch at home watching tv, where your biggest risk is becoming a couch potato.
- Travel insurance will also cover you for the small, unexpected things you pick up while traveling, like parasites.
There are plenty of risks to backpackers due to their low budget, length of trip and 'off the beaten track' approach. So don't forget to pack travel insurance in your backpack.
Start comparing cheap backpacker travel insurance policies today!